Monday, March 9, 2015

Tech Tips [The One Thing You Must Know Before Backing Up! Plus - My Tablet Is Speaking Chinese ] 03-09-15

WorldStart
WorldStart's Tech Tips WorldStart

ws WorldStart Tech Tips 2015-03-09

Having trouble viewing parts or all of the newsletter? View the entire newsletter here!

Quick Tip

Cody asks,

I have one of your pics as my desktop background, cannot change it, how do I get this one off?

Hi Cody,

You didn't provide a lot of information, but if you want to change your wallpaper, you do so under Control Panel and Display settings. An easy way in newer Windows versions, from Vista on, would be to right click on a blank spot on your desktop and click on Personalize in the menu that pops up.

personalizedt
This shows you all the themes and backgrounds available. You can always choose one of the default themes. If you want to change your current wallpaper to another picture you have saved, simply click on Desktop background at the bottom, and you can then browse to another picture you have saved on your computer.

desktopbackground

~ Audra

Speaking of wallpaper, what kinds of images do you prefer for yours? Do you stick with what comes on the computer or do you like to personalize? Click here to let us know in the comments.

Click here to rate this tip | Printer friendly version

Announcements

We have all been there!

You write a note to your kids asking them to unload the dishwasher only to come home and find NOTHING was done! Their excuse: they never saw the note! Maybe that flimsy note has slipped away onto the floor, never to be read or thought of again.

Or maybe they leave you a note, but you can't read the scribbles! What are you supposed to pick up, whos coming over, when do I take my meds?

Too bad you don't have a video!

But wait, now you do!

So, when your kids or spouse come home they just hit the play button and watch your video on the color screen.

You aren't limited to JUST one single video here!

The external LED lets you know when you have a video waiting. There's no guessing game whether someone has watched their video!

Don't worry, you can hear as well as see the message thanks to the high quality speakers! Know that your voice will be heard loud and clear.

Here's the feature I really love! Check out the built-in magnet on the back! Stick it right up on the fridge and it's a guarantee that no one will miss it.

You've seen those incredibly expensive "smart" refrigerators with their built-in message centers. They cost thousands of dollars.

You can have the same thing for only $14.97 ! No fancy apps! No wireless required. It's a time saver and space saver!

http://store.worldstart.com/product/10301

Grab yours now! Price goes up on Tuesday to $18.97!




http://imgsrv.worldstart.com/ct-images/sick-of-ads.jpg

Computers 101

Sylvia says,

I am trying to add a link to a letter in Word but the instructions are difficult to follow or perhaps I am just not savvy in that area. Is there a simple way to do this?

Hello Sylvia,

For those not familiar with the term, a hyperlink is an Internet link in a document. When you click or tap on that link it is activated it takes you somewhere else. It could be somewhere within the document or it could open a website. A hyperlink can be text or you can add one to an image.

The easiest way in Word is to copy and paste the web site link. Then, highlight the link with your mouse, right click directly on the highlighted link, and in the menu that pops up, choose Hyperlink.

If you have trouble with that or you don't want to spell out the whole name of the site in your document, you can use the menus at the top of Word. It may vary in different versions, but in my Office 365 version, I can choose the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top, then click Links, then Hyperlink.

hyperlink1

You'll see another menu pop up that allows you to change the displayed text, as well as the linked website address. Once you choose OK, the web address will then turn to a hyperlink, underlined and blue in color.

hyperlink2

~ Audra

Click here to rate this tip | Printer friendly version

Do you have a question for us? Ask it here!

On The Move

Alex from Hungary writes:

I have been given an Ampe A77 3G tablet pc,but no user manual,could you either help/advise how I can get to use it. (it is all in Chinese).

These days many devices come with limited or no instruction manuals. My advice for you would be to find out if there is a manufacturer website where downloads of instructions are available.

ampe2

I found a website for the company at www.szampe.com. There's a place to download a user manual, but nothing happened when I clicked on it. There is some contact information on that page, but as they appear to be based in China, I can't promise you'll get in touch with someone who speaks a language you're comfortable in, but you could give it a try.

The good news is that I may be able to solve your language problem. The Android operating system is fairly similar across devices and you usually will have the option of choosing from multiple languages.

You'll want to look for Settings. It may be displayed as a gear like this:

androidsettings

Or it could look like this:

settingsicon

You'll want to tap that icon and try to find...

Want more? Just click WorldStart!

From The Archives

Penny Z. from Ohio writes:

I have a tablet that I like very much, but when it comes to installing programs on it, I get confused. There are things I'd like to put on it, but I can't find a way to buy them. For example, I wanted to try out one that my daughter uses on her iPad, but I can't find a way to download it. And there are things I use that my sister can't find a way to get for her Kindle. I talked to the guy at the place that fixes my laptop and he says it's because they are from different app ecosystems, whatever that means. Then he said something about walled gardens. To me ecosystems sounds like biology class and a walled garden like something to do with your yard. Can you put all that in English for me?

You've hit a nerve with me, Penny. I absolutely hate the term ecosystem when used with apps and technology products, but it looks like it's here to stay, right along with using impact as a verb. As in, "The ecosystem for your device will impact upon your enjoyment."

For the purposes of your tablet, ecosystem means the selection of products (like apps) and services available for that device. It could also refer to the types of devices available that use those products and services.

For example, the Apple ecosystem would include iPad and iPhone devices as well as apps, music and books purchased from the iTunes store and the iCloud. Because Apple has what is called a "walled" garden, you must get your apps from Apple through iTunes. You cannot download the app for the Apple store to any tablet but an iPad. You could browse through the store online, but you will not be able to download unless you have a compatible device.

Amazon Kindles operate in similar fashion, though they do make an Amazon app available that you can read on other devices. But you cannot access features like Prime Video or the Kindle Owners Lending Library on any device but a Kindle. You purchase apps for the Kindle in the Amazon App Store. (You can modify a Kindle's settings to allow you to install Android Apps from other sources.)

Both of these devices really operate as appliances that access their ecosystem. So when choosing tablet, it would be important to consider if...

Want more? Just click WorldStart!

Today's Feature

Elaine from Indiana writes:

I have windows 7 Home Premium & need to back up my desktop how can I tell how much space I need to have in order to back up everything and what is the best way? Also what is the size of USB flash that I need for passwords?

Elaine, I will assume you are referring to your PC as in a desktop PC and not just the desktop on your computer.

The amount of space you need to fully backup your system depends entirely on your system. If you want to do a full backup where you mirror your PC completely, you'd need an external hard drive roughly the same size of the one on your computer.

Here's how to check the size of your hard drive. Click your Start Button and select Computer from the menu.

startmenucomputer

A window will open showing the drives on the computer. The size of my hard drive and the amount of space open are displayed right below the name of the drive. In this case, my hard drive is called C. Since I have 872 GB free of the 931 GB available, I'm currently using 59 GB of space.

localdisk

Most people opt for a smaller back-up, they back up files like documents, photos, music and e-mail. That way if the computer fails, you can reinstall Windows and other programs from scratch and reload your important files. Here's how to check the size of those files: Off to the left of where the drives are listed, you'll see a listing for libraries.

libraries2

Here's how check how much space each item in the library would take to back up...

Head on over to WorldStart for more on this tip!

For stories, jokes, quotes and cartoons every day, sign up for our Just for Grins newsletter.

Amanda's Coolsite

Rally Point

Are you or a loved one in the military? Or have served at some point? Then Rally Point is a site you're going to want to check out!

Rally Point seeks to help military personnel and veterans network, provides tools for them to succeed, and allows them to explore career opportunities both in the military and in the private sector.

If you click the Learn More link, a video will pop up that explains how the site works and what you can do with it. The video runs around a minute and half.

There's a second video on the Why Join? page that gives more information about why you should use the site. I recommend checking out both videos. You should also scroll down the Why Join? page and check out the text explanation for joining too.

Registration is free. You can connect with Google, Facebook, or your e-mail address. It's just that simple! Once you've created your account you can start networking and taking advantage of the site right away.

Go check it out for yourself today!

https://www.rallypoint.com/

~Amanda

Click here to rate this tip | Printer friendly version

Do you have a cool, non-commercial site that you want to share?

Send it to Amanda at amanda@worldstart.com

One More Big Deal

These people are excited about this amazing Outlet Receiver With A Keychain Remote and so am I. When I come across a fantastic buy like this on such a handy product, I always have to wonder, what's the catch? Guess what? There's no catch. When I checked it out, I couldn't believe how well it worked and then I started looking around to see what other users thought. THEY LOVED IT, TOO!

What would you say if I told you that you could turn on lights in your house from up to 150 feet away with one touch on a keychain remote? What if I told you that the same keychain remote could control up to 8 different lights in your house?

Too good to be true? No, it's all true!

Safety and convenience at the touch of a button!

Usually you have two choices, you can come home to a dark house and stumble around until you find a switch or you can leave your lights on and waste energy. With this incredibly convenient keychain remote, you can turn on your lights while still sitting in your car in the garage!

Turn on the upstairs light while you're still at the bottom of the stairs!

I love this for the lamp by my front entrance. The way that area is wired, flipping the light switch also turns off the power. So if I want to turn off the lamp, I also turn off the filter on my fish tank, which is not good at all for Fredo the Fish. Now I can plug the lamp into the receiver and turn it on and off with just a tap.

I live in an older home with no overhead light in my living room. I used to have to walk around turning off four lamps one at time at bedtime. Now I've got four of these nifty receivers and I turn them off with one touch.

One keychain remote works with up to 8 receivers! There's a little dial on the receiver where you select the channel for that receiver. That way you can switch off one light and leave another on with no problem. It's amazing technology, but so simple to use. I strongly suggest buying more than one of these.

How great would this be for Christmas decorations? Now this isn't just for lamps. You can use to turn on devices with hard-to-reach switches.

Turn your bedside lamp on and off without wrenching your arm trying to reach it. Hear something go bump in the night? Instantly turn on your lights! Great for anyone sleeping in a bunk bed or loft bed. Turn any lamp in the room on or off without climbing up and down in the dark!

Can you believe these are only $14.97 ??? Seriously, you have got to get more than one! If you don't, you'll try it out and instantly want to order another one. But we'll be completely sold out! Remember, you can control up to eight of these amazing receivers with only one convenient keychain remote!

Click right here to add one or more to your cart right now!

Everyone is going to want more than one of these and my quantity is limited! I can't even believe I got my hands on this many. Get as many as you can before Tuesday ! Because then the price shoots back to $19.97 !




Monthly Wallpaper

March Wallpaper Is Ready

The featured desktop wallpaper for March is all set and ready to go. Check out the featured images below and stop by the site - hundreds to choose from.

All can be found here and are 100% free:

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/wallpaper/

Oh, and if you enjoy these images, please tell your friends!

Mosquito Beach Stormy Rainbows

I recently reprocessed this image. I've learned a lot since my first attempt with it, and I think this is a much more realistic rendering of the scene.

The Story: This was easily one of the toughest photos I've ever created.
It was taken one cold, rainy morning in Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore along Lake Superior – Mosquito Beach to be exact.…(More)

Water Skiing Pelican

Pelicans have to be on of the most enjoyable birds to photograph. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a nice group of white pelicans that last time I was at Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands in Florida. And I had a BLAST! The birds are huge of course, so you don't...(More)

Grizzly Cub

I came across this guy and his mother while out searching for a large male griz I'd spotted the day before. This, umm, "little" guy and his mom were actually strolling right along the roadside and blended in with the trees remarkably well. I was lucky there was a group of cars stopped or I might have driven right past them! Upon spotting them, I pulled over and yanked the gear out of the back – hoping my 600mm lens wasn't going to be too much – I was literally shooting from right across the road. Although you might expect...(More)

For these and other great selections of desktop wallpaper, head to:

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/wallpaper/

As always, the wallpaper is 100% free, so enjoy!


20% Discount On New Prints!

Remember, check out my New Images page throughout the month - you automatically save 20% on any of the FIVE newest images! See all my new work here:

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/photos/


Attention All Wildlife Photographers!

My new book, Secrets To Stunning Wildlife Photography, is now available! Learn how to take your wildlife photography to the next level with this comprehensive 290 page e-book!

http://www.backcountrygallery.com/secrets-to-stunning-wildlife-photography/


Photography Tips - Step By Step Videos!

Is it time to improve your photography? Check out my YouTube channel - loads of helpful photography tips with more added monthly (more or less).

http://www.youtube.com/user/backcountrygallery

You can also view the current newsletter and archives online at
http://www.worldstart.com/newsletters.php


Copyright, Disclaimer, Etc.

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2015, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.


WorldStart is not responsible for errors, omissions, or pricing mistakes.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

Microsoft and Windows are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation (duh!)


Did someone forward this to you? Get your free subscription here:
http://www.worldstart.com/subscriptions/

If daily newsletters are too much to handle, then change your subscription to our Weekly Edition...
http://www.worldstart.com/subscriptions/

If you need to change your email address, go here...
http://www.worldstart.com/subscriptions/

"I don't want yer stinkin' email!"
To remove yourself from our mailing list please head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/subscriptions/

WorldStart, Inc. - 2620 Centennial Rd, Suite C / Toledo, OH 43617 - Phone: 1-800-915-2088

You are receiving this daily newsletter because you requested it either at Worldstart.com or one of our affiliates.
You are currently subscribed as woowonemusic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a Nice Comment .....